Lind End Guest Farm, despite its modern appearance, has a history both old and new.
Situated on the historic Zeederberg Trail where horse and zebra-drawn wagons once brought supplies and post across the escarpment. The plot was named Paardeplaats and was the spot where the horses were changed.
In the 1960’s, a former Italian prisoner-of-war and master builder named Giuseppe Pent decided it was the place for his new home. He constructed the small rondavel with its thick stone walls and original thatch roof as his starting base, he lived in the rondavel while he built the House itself as well as contour terraced the entire property, built dams and planted 1000 avocado trees. Guiseppe’s house completed, he discovered that it was too remote for his family to live comfortably and they moved closer to the main road.
The property was then discovered by Bill and Peggy Garlick, who retired to South Africa from Zambia in 1969. Bill, a geologist, and his team were famed for having discovered the Zambian copperbelt; the richest known copper mine in the world at that time. He and his wife came to the area to visit friends and fell in love with the place. They stayed for the rest of their lives. Peggy, a pioneer farmer in her own right, grew the first kiwi fruit on the Mountain; which today forms a thriving industry in the area.
Bill and Peggy’s daughters Buzandi and Margaret-June renamed the farm Lind End after their ancestral family home in the Lake District, United Kingdom. The property remains in the family to this day.